How do I find out if someone is in jail?

To find out if someone is still in jail, you must contact the Whitfield County Jail at 706-278-1233.


 How do I get a charge removed from my record?

Expungement is the process by which you may be able to have a charge removed from your record. For more information on expungements, call 706-278-9085, press 9 and ext 408.


 How do I get information about criminal activity in my neighborhood?

Visit DPD OnLine, or contact our Crime Analyst at 706-278-9085, press 9 and ext 413, for statistics regarding specific criminal activity in designated areas of the city.


 How do I obtain a background check?

You will need to come to the Dalton Police Department’s Records Unit to request a background check. You will have to sign a consent form and provide a picture ID. Processing time is one day for a local background and up to three days for the state background. The charge is $15.00 for a state check and $15.00 for a local check, and we only accept cash.